Thursday, August 21, 2008

Cyclewerks Cr4nkF3st

I love the coarse that the good boys of Cyclewerks down in Cape hae created. It is fast if flows and it does its very best as kicking you suqare in the lycra covered keester. The Dr.Js met at Wes's house and and headed out. Chris, Jim, Scott, Wes, and myself were all ready to rock seeing as we were the only people who were signed up . A close call with the Highway Patrol and passing fellow racer and resident old guy Tom Albert and were were slidding into bibs and applying chamios butt'r In no time (not to eachother 'cuz we aren't gay...not that there is anything wrong with that).

Considering how mild the weather had been it was hot on the starting line. Everyone chattered about Dwayne and Keeven runing a 12hr solo and a 6 hour solo the day before and still racing today (Dwayne 3rd and Keeven 1st). We lined up and waited for an unusually long time for the gun (by gun I mean offical yelling go) to sound. It came and the rain came with it. Rian in the form of spinning legs, whizzing chains, and giant drops of sweat. I was started in too low of a gear and peaked on the climb heading into the woods. I was looking forward to railing the berm that was a new addition this year but found out quickely that the fast line was on the inside as two cyclist past me one being Mike Teiber. It was now offically on. I reeled them back in as the pulled up on Scott and the four of us rocked though the woods like Rage Against the Machine at the democatic national convention. Somewhere along the way Scott go passed by the cyclewerks rider and Jim Krewet caught us and proved he was still in shape by gapping us before we popped out onto the sidewalk around the halfway mark. I big ringed in and set my lazers from stun to kill hitting the small grassy climb back toward the woods at warp seed and passing Teiber and Scott to suck right up on Krewets wheel through the S-turn. I was trying to lay the hammer down as was everyone else Krewet got way as Scott and I dropped Tieber.

During the second lap Tom albert (Who missed the start) caught us and politely asked for a pass I gave it to him and watch him waste me. An endurance rider caught up to us and proceeded to ride two laps at our pace giving all of us the urge to push that much harder.

Lap three the bottom dropped out. The whole body was tingleing and I couldnt hold my lines. The is where teammates make the differance because Scott told me to just keep pedaling and kept the presure from behind on forcing me to find my focus angain. Dodd had caught us earlier on in the lap and keeven caught us as we exited the Maze. I was now sitting behind The Endurance rider who was behind Scott. I was coming back aroudn thanks to the Cyto I had stashed on my frame. Lap for and I was back holding onto Scott's wheel through the single track and up the climbs then going for the pass heading into the woods. I started to apply the gas the turbos spooled and I sucked the last bit of water out of my camblebak. I ditched the dead wieght and put my head down giving lap five my all.

I kept looking back trying to see where someone was then telling myself to worry about who is in front of my and let whoever is back there worry about me. This worked I had put a nice gap on who i thought was Teiber but was really Pfood himself. I had to just ride solid for lap six and I finished in just under 2 hours and 3 minuets for a 12th place finish. The results on Cyclewerks page show that I DNF'ed but if you look I had all 20min laps and one 40min lap. Trust me on this I did all six laps and had an average of 11.6mph.

An interesting side note at WORS I raced pretty much the same pace as I did in cape. That just shows how much faster that coarse was because I did not feel any where near as good and relied on the downhills to keep my pace up.

Nice Job to all who ventured down south to race in the dust and heat that make this race one of a kind.

4 comments:

  1. Z0|\/|G |)00|)

    I |-|4\/3 2 P33 $0 B4|)

    -(. RY|34(|<

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell me you were on heroin when you wrote this. Otherwise, just admit to dropping out of school in 4th grade.

    ReplyDelete