Sunday, April 20, 2008

Carnage in Herman

Warm-up

I wish the title of this post referred to me to me crushing the cat 4 time trial and then repeating with the road race. But, it does not.

This was the first time trial I had ever done and even though I did not scorch the earth like Levi my time of 25:33 was good enough to place me 11th on the ten mile coarse.

The road race started out nicely with sunny 70 degree weather and then went way south for me from there on out. I completely blew up on the second KOM climb and got dropped. I am not sure how much of this had to do with back to back races but I blame it on lack of training and abundance of junk foood. I was determined to hang in there but soon lost sight of the pack. It was now about finishing. I started working with another rider with the hopes we would be able to pick off some of the other stragglers. We sighted one and started to reel him in. We were pulling each other along at 25mph just about to catch rider X. He came around me to take his turn pulling, I caught his slipstream with too much heat, took off like a rocket, and rubbed his rear wheel. One four letter word later and I was telling him to keep going I would be fine. Note the definition of fine here is how females use it when you ask them whats wrong.I ended up with some road rash, a dented frame (suspecting that it is now unsafe to ride), and wounded pride from getting dropped then crashing because of a rookie mistake. On the bright side I did not cause him to crash and I did get sympathy from the female medic that doused me in alcohol.

"Why do we fall? so we can get back up"

Hope everyone enjoyed their Summer like Sunday better then I did.

6 comments:

  1. Crapola, brother. Sorry to hear about your wreck. I saw you had put down a strong TT time. The hills are exactly why I didn't screw around with that race. Unfortunately, I don't have any spare road frames (in your size) hanging around you can use. You could take a look, but I'm not sure I'll have anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man that sucks dude! You can use my fastback frame. It's just lying around. Give me a call sometime. Oh yeah GO REDWINGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa man, i'm hurting just looking at your hands...probably don't want me to tell you it's a good idea to wear gloves while road racing.... so i won't

    hope you can sleep with the road rash.

    db

    ReplyDelete
  4. sleeping isn't the hard part its separating myself from the bed spread in the morning

    ReplyDelete