Saturday, June 28, 2008

Dirt Crits!!!!1

My first mountain bike race was one of the short track races. I showed with a full suspension, cargo shorts, a free ride jersey, and stood out against all of the lycra clad riders on hardtails like a fat kid during dodgeball. I was stoked this year when I heard the short track series was coming back. A huge thanks to Pfoodman for putting this on! Thursday night was a uber rad.

Instead of handing of $25 to pay for a one day licence and entry to the "C" race I forked over $50 to cover me for all 6 "A" races. I lined up in the field with 19 other BAMFs wearing lycra straddling my hardtail (a lot has changed). I was positioned behind Chris hoping I might get a lead out. This was a mistake because he was gassy and the smog before the race didn't help me much. The siren went off and it was time to grip it and rip it. My pseudo hopes of holding on near the front were shattered pretty much when I clipped in but I sprinted none the less as the pack started to spread like jelly on wheat bread.

I yo-yoed with a group of four riders one being a super sport rider Drew Black, another being fellow DRJ teammate Tom Albert, another Mesa rider (they are always a threat), and Mr. Velo Force Pace Setter. I watched as the pace began to take its toll on the guy from Mesa and Velo Force and started digging to get up with Tom who was losing Drew slowly. The road bike must be having an effect because I caught up to him and we started working together for the middle part of the race. I got in front and started pulling as much as I could as we came through the start finish " 24 min and some change" we where told. "3 laps left" I heard Tom say over the pounding of my heart. I asked the legs for more hoping we could pull Drew back in. They answered with a "HELLZ YEAH" the start/finish line came around pretty quickly "29 min and change" the time keeper said "Now three more laps" Tom said with a sheepish tone. I did not have the legs left to hold my pace and Tom went around me. I still had to worry about the Velo
force rider so I kept the self motivation up. I managed to pass Scott on a surly cross bike and he said something about no legs. I came through the start/finish with Tom and Drew still in sight but slid out in the grass and pretty much rode to hold my place from there on out. I have not had that good of a time on a bike since lost valley when I felt like superman flyin' through the sport class. But this post has gotten Dave Breslin (who was mysteriously absent on Thursday) long so I am going to pe@ce out.

1 comment: