Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I'm back...sorf of

It has been a long time since my scrot graced the seat of a mountain bike. So last week when I finally got my Big Unit Built up and running I was stoked to relearn how to ride a single speed again. Not as easy as I remember from the days of 160lb-riding-everyday-Robort. So I did what would make sense to anyone who hates themselves and signed up with thoughts of sugar plums dancing in my head.

Race Day. I haven't had one of these since the BT epic in October of 2008. After dealing with the butterflies and warming up I lined up in the back of the marathon class near the Doctor awaiting the start of our 3 hour race. We couldn't have asked for a better morning: overcast and raining. The start was pretty normal everyone trying to gain position and on top of the fact that it was muddy made it all the more interesting. I entered the into the woods behind The Doctor, Pfoodman, and some other dude wearing a day glow yellow jersey. I was feeling pretty good despite sliding around everyone corner but so was everyone else. I passed yellow jersey dood and was following Pfood when I slid sideways on a climb and ran into a tree enough to stop me and get my ass passed by 4 riders. The race didn't get much better. The second lap saw the end of the rain but the trail was still very slick and was draining the legs with zero traction on climbs, and well climbs. My first two laps took me 1hr and 4 min I was on pace to complete my goal of 6 laps. On my second lap I passed Dwayne who was having flat trouble and gave him a tube unfortunately this didn't help him out much and I saw him again and again as he walked the trail back giving us all encouragement because he is pro as hell. Lap three sucked just because it was lap three. I finished and set out for lap four they were starting to blend together and the only other riders I was seeing where the Experts, who Rocketed past me on a climb, and some straggling sport riders. Four laps in the books and wondering if I would be able to get the fifth in with enough time to get in a sixth. I grabbed a bottle of Cytomax and that was a huge booster. The legs where coming back around to the point that I saw The Doctor at teh top of a climb talking to Dwayne. He saw me as well and dropped the hammer leaving me with a "Suck It Robort". As I headed toward the line I was almost sure it was after the 3 hour cut off so I passed by my cooler with out picking up any more water. I was then informed that it had only been 2 hrs and 49 min since the start and I headed back out to destroy my sixth lap and complete my goal. I realized after about 5 min that I didn't have any water left. this made the last 4.5 miles very fun. So there you have it the First race is in the books St. Joe'S is next I might do single speed class not sure all I know is that I am back.

4 comments:

  1. Holy shit, another great post from teh Kankles himself. This one being a major milestone on the long road back to recovery. My junk quivers at teh thought of a front-of-teh pack Robort smashing all obstaclors before him.

    Robort made mention of how teh laps were starting to run together. This is much like his sentences, and also much like teh gigantic crap that I took a little while ago - very runny, and sticking together in teh bowl. I kind of wish I had kept that runny shit, because I believe it would be made for some badass jenkem fuel.

    Energor be praised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you post a pic of your Easter Bike please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel as though I should restrain myself from posting pictures of my "easter eggs" that I dropped in the toilet earlier today.

    But yes, post photos of the Easter Bike.

    -CFR

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice work Robort. Do post pictures of easter eggs for the enjoyment of all.

    ReplyDelete