Sunday, January 6, 2008

Middle Fork loop


I found out (by found out I mean that I actually looked at my schedule a few days in advance) on Thursday that Saturday was completely open. This meant one thing God might still like me and an epic ride was in order. I was setting my sights on the first century of the year until Chris Ploch suggested we do the newly founded Middle Fork loop. I agreed seeing it as a good opportunity to start training for the Ouachita challenge. The warm weather that we figured we would enjoy didn't seem to follow us south. However, the temperature was higher then it had been and we were both a little over dressed when we started out. We road the entire Middle Fork trail which is about 24 miles of some sweet single track and even sweeter downhills. The trail was pretty soft but mostly rideable with the exception of one cyclocross type mud pit. At the lovely little town of Oacts (sp) we hopped on the gravel roads for 10 miles back to 2 more miles of single track. The distance we had covered was already weighing down my legs when we started ascending a slight incline. Chris looked over his should and said "Did I tell you that the hardest hill we go up in on the gravel road?" a simple no was all I could replay while thinking we must be on it but i should have known by his shit eating grin what he was about to say "And this isn't it." We did conquer the massive climb on the gravel road and got back onto the single track, which we had already ridden the other direction. I was toasted and at one point Chris lovingly pointed out I was standing up in my granny gear. But I made it back to the car my bike trashed my legs rubberized but knowing i had just laid the first brick in the foundation that I will build a mansion of racing upon.

1 comment:

  1. Your promise for the 2008 season gave me chills. Baller-ass ride you did down there in the Ozarks, Mr. Lawson.

    ReplyDelete